The George Peabody Library was founded in 1866 by the philanthropist George Peabody, who had visited the town as a young man and worked on the farm belonging to his grandparents. Peabody fondly remembered the town and bequeathed the funds for a library when he made his fortune as a banker. As Thetford’s first library, it boasted a grand collection of 6,000 volumes and was the largest library for thirty miles within the state. Today the Peabody Library is known for its small yet wonderful collection of books, and its programming and presentations for all ages. It is the oldest continually operating library building in the state of Vermont. A grant from 1772 will help pay for exterior painting.
1772 Grant Funds Awarded: $5000