The St. Augustine Episcopal Church was constructed in 1882-1883 as a mission church without a permanent pastor. The church was regularly used for several decades, but its use dwindled by the 1960s. The 1976 Bicentennial piqued an interest in local history and work began to establish a museum and house local artifacts. Bishop Harold Butterfield, who was a native of North Troy and served as the sixth Bishop of the Vermont Episcopal Church, arranged for the building to be given to the Historical Society as a home for developing collections.
The Historical Society has stewarded the building and collection for nearly 50 years and made upgrades to ensure its continued use. A recent assessment, completed by Jay Ancel of Black River Design, confirmed that the building is in overall good condition but the exterior envelope needs attention.
A $25,000 grant will support the exterior rehabilitation of the Missisquoi Valley Historical Society, allowing the group to focus its energy on expanding programs and potential partnerships.