Designed by Lambert Packard and built in 1883 as a high style Queen Anne / Romanesque mansion, Brantview House served as the main St. Johnsbury residence of the Fairbanks family for almost 50 years before it was donated to the St. Johnsbury Academy in 1931. Since that time, it has been used a dormitory, with the elaborately detailed interior intact in the common spaces. The house retains its historic integrity but now needs extensive rehabilitation to comply with fire and accessibility codes, improve energy efficiency, update mechanical systems, and replace the slate roof in-kind.
Students involved in the technical education programs will be afforded opportunities to participate in a range of conservation related projects in the project, including fine art, woodwork restoration, ornamental plastering and painting, and historic glass and metal work. The finished product will provide 21st century comfort and convenience in the restored Brantview House which will continue to serve the academy as a dormitory on the upper floors and be available for school and community event space use on the ground floor.
The proposed rehabilitation to the house and carriage barn, also used as a dormitory, is estimated to cost $6 million dollars based on detailed architectural plans. At this time, the Academy has raised approximately $5 million dollars. A grant of $50,000 will help close the gap.