Constructed in 1886, this Lambert Packard designed building embodies Newport’s late 19th/early 20th century prosperity and is included among only a few of the city’s remaining non-residential buildings from this period. It also represents the decision to move the county seat to Newport from Irasburg and is certainly one of Vermont’s finest examples of high-style civic building construction.
The original wood double hung windows survived into the 1980s, when they were replaced with poorly suited and poor quality vinyl crank-out sash fitted into the original openings. The present condition of the vinyl windows has rendered virtually all of them inoperable. In addition to the poor function, the windows cheap design, materials, and quality of installation are entirely at odds with the Lambert Packard’s design and the prominence of this landmark architecture on Newport’s Main Street.
The proposed project will remove the vinyl windows, and replace them with high quality, metal clad wood sash windows in the design of the originals. The design and installation shall be coordinated with the Preservation Trust to ensure a durable and architecturally appropriate treatment for the Court House. Total cost of the project is estimated at approximately $150,000 of which $100,000 will be raised from taxes and loans. A grant of $50,000 will help get the project completed, and done well.