Menu
Dailey Library

Dailey Memorial Library Addition, Derby Center

The Dailey Memorial Library was constructed on the site of the historic Town House in the mid-century Colonial Revival style in 1957, with funds donated by W.R. Dailey.  Since its construction, the library has evolved from a book repository to its current use as a multifunction community center with a range of activities: over 12,000 books, audio, and video offerings with 900 registered borrowers, tax-preparation classes for seniors, reading programs for adult and young children, story and crafts activities for children, family movie nights, lectures, book deliveries to shut-ins, and several other programs. The library now serves the Town of Derby, Charleston, Morgan, and Holland, and the demand for its services and activities have outgrown the building’s modest size.

The plan calls for a 1600 sq. ft. addition on two levels attached to the back of the building, increasing the overall usable space to 4,000 sq. ft. A lift, ADA bathrooms, and other changes will bring the library into compliance with ADA. The renovated interior will house a multipurpose community room, children’s activity space, study areas, and adult and children’s reading areas. The addition in this plan is substantially smaller in size than the original plan which was too expensive and overpowered the historic building.

The current $550,000 plan respects the architecture of the original historic building.  A grant of $50,000 will enable the volunteer Board of Directors to complete the project.